Cluster of Lies

In this second thriller in the Joe Higheagle Environmental Sleuth Series, mysterious deaths are taking place in the Rocky Mountain region outside Denver, Colorado. Joe Higheagle--a full-blooded Cheyenne geologist who has recently become an overnight celebrity for bringing down a billionaire corporate polluter--is hired to investigate Dakota Ranch, where four boys have recently died from a rare form of brain cancer, and Silverado Knolls, a glitzy soon-to-be-built development. He quickly finds himself entangled in an environmental cancer cluster investigation as well as a murderous conspiracy in which friend and foe are indistinguishable and a series of seemingly impenetrable roadblocks are thrown in his path.  

My Review

This is my first introduction to author, Samuel Marquis' work. As a fellow Coloradoan; I had to try this author's work out. I am only about 3 1/2 hours away from Denver. So, I enjoyed the different location references in this book. Right away I knew I liked Mr. Marquis from this sentence " Below on the ice, the first game of the semi-final Stanley Cup series between the Colorado Avalanche and the hated Detroit Red Wings was in full swing." I am a Avalanche fan and anyone who is a true fan can relate to the hatred between the Avalanche and the Red Wings.

While I have not read the first book I do like Joe Higheagle. He is intelligent and fights hard for the truth. Knowing that the author wrote this book with first hand experience regarding a cancer cluster case did add another layer of intrigue to the story as a whole. For the most part I found this to be a quick read. Although, there were a few times where it did lag some for me but luckily not for too long. I do agree with another reader that Joe is like the male version of Erin Brockovich. 

SAMUEL MARQUIS is the bestselling, award-winning author of The Slush Pile Brigade, Blind Thrust, The Coalition, Bodyguard of Deception, and Cluster of Lies. He is a vice-president and hydrogeologist with a national environmental consulting firm. He lives in Colorado with his wife and three children. Learn more at www.samuelmarquisbooks.com.


Comments

Mystica said…
A new author for me so I did enjoy the update.

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Get Buck Naked!

Don't Say a Word: A Daughter's Two Cents

Aberrations