LEARNING TO FLY: An Uncommon Memoir of Human Flight, Unexpected Love, and One Amazing Dog




I have not heard of Steph Davis nor am I familiar with the controversy that her then husband made in the media. Steph’s husband climbed the “Arches” in the Utah National Park. Although, climbing is allowed in the park it is frowned upon to climb such a famous landmark. It got so bad that it was almost like Steph’s husband was on trial in a Salem witch hunt. Of course coupled with the media and the loss of some big sponsors, the marriage crumbled. However if it was not for this, Steph may not have discovered her other new passion besides climbing…sky diving and base jumping.

I have wanted to try sky diving. So this was part of the reason for me wanting to check this book out. The other reasons are what Steph has done is amazing and the other reason being that she spent so much time in Colorado. I have a place in my reading world for authors who live in Colorado.


I felt like I got a good raw look into Steph’s life. It was nice to read how Steph coped by learning how to let go and be free like a bird in the sky. Steph is awe-inspiring. After reading this book I am more interested to try sky diving, however I will leave the base jumping and climbing to Steph. Well maybe I might try base jumping after I get in all of the required sky diving jumps. Learning to Fly is an wonderful book that will have you reaching for the sky and your own dreams!



Steph Davis is a world-renowned climber, skydiver, and BASE jumper. In addition to her blog on veganism, animal rights, and simple living at HighInfatuation.com, she has written for Climbing and Rock and Ice. Her first book, High Infatuation: A Climber’s Guide to Love and Gravity, was published in 2007. She lives in Moab, Utah.



Free Solo and BASE, Castleton North Face from steph davis on Vimeo.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Get Buck Naked!

Don't Say a Word: A Daughter's Two Cents

Aberrations