Book Tour Review: Leaving Halberd Peak

 


Trapped in this tiny town from birth, Sam Soren is probably going to die here, crushed by a falling beer sign in the family billiards hall. In a terrible mood ever since the greatest betrayal of his life became fodder for the gossip mill, he long ago made peace with his fate as the bastard of the county. That is, until Gretchen Clarke stumbles into his bar with trouble written all over her. 

 

Armed with an easy smile and superhuman ability to roll with the punches, Gretchen is going places, and would have gotten there faster if her car hadn't broken down. The quirky residents of Halberd Peak open their hearts to her, and when tragedy strikes, she finds herself doing exactly what she swore she'd never do again: running toward the drama. Bound together by circumstances beyond their control, Sam and Gretchen discover an unexpected connection, but can their love survive when plans change?



My Review:

I really like the small town setting that author, Rowan Helaine developed for this story. It is one of the things that I did like about this book...the small-town charm. The other thing I did like is the characters. I found them to be endearing and people that I would hang out with. 


This really is a slow burn romance. Which I do like these types of books, but I do need some form of teasing moments to keep me going. Sam and Gretchen both seemed a bit hesitate to move too fast or in Sam's case, it was more him. Yet the chemistry between these two does pick up later in the story and it was steamy. So, for me the second half of the story was better as it felt like the pacing picked up as well as the steamy chemistry. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Get Buck Naked!

Don't Say a Word: A Daughter's Two Cents

Aberrations