Dead If You Don't




Kipp Brown, successful businessman and compulsive gambler, is having the worst run of luck of his life. He’s beginning to lose, big style. However, taking his teenage son, Mungo, to their club’s Saturday afternoon football match should have given him a welcome respite, if only for a few hours. But it’s at the stadium where his nightmare begins.

Within minutes of arriving at the game, Kipp bumps into a client. He takes his eye off Mungo for a few moments, and in that time, the boy disappears. Then he gets the terrifying message that someone has his child, and to get him back alive, Kipp will have to pay.

Defying instruction not to contact the police, Kipp reluctantly does just that, and Detective Superintendent Roy Grace is brought in to investigate. At first it seems a straightforward case of kidnap. But rapidly Grace finds himself entering a dark, criminal underbelly of the city, where the rules are different and nothing is what it seems.

My Review

This book is number fourteen in the Roy Grace series. I have read about half a dozen books in this series thus far. The more I get to know Mr. Grace, the better I like him. While, Roy is on his game in this book, there was something missing that kept me from jumping up and down with tons of excitement. It was the fact that I was not connecting as much to the other characters in the story. Additionally, I missed some of the anguish that Roy is experiencing in his personal life.

The combination of these two factors did bring down the joy factor a little bit for me. However, this is still an enjoyable read. One that did not stop this from being a fast read for me. I am here mainly for the main lead, Roy. He is a bit rough around the edges but this is what makes me like him. There were a few twists along the way. I can't wait to read the next book in this series but until than, I will just go back and try to check up on the prior novels that I have not read in this series.


Check out my Instagram post.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Get Buck Naked!

Don't Say a Word: A Daughter's Two Cents

Aberrations