The Dawning of Power

I want to give a big thank you to Mr. Rathbone for sending me a copy of his book to review.
Young Catrin Volker was just a normal girl…that is till that fatal day. All Catrin remembers is walking home from school and trying to help her friend, Osbourne from being pummeled to death by a group of townies. One moment Catrin feared that she would soon breathe her last breath and the next moment she was waking up in what can only be described as some kind of nightmare. Osbourne and Catrin were alive and so were the townies…barely.

All of the townsfolk are now looking at Catrin like she is some kind of witch. Which wouldn’t be so terrible if Catrin wasn’t going through a change. Something is happening to her. Days pass. Suddenly out of nowhere a comet appears in the sky. The once peaceful town of Godfist is attacked. Benji a friend of Catrin’s father whisks Catrin, Osbourne, and a few other people away from Godfist. Benji reveals to Catrin that is not just her father’s friend but guardian to the Herald. Benji also tells Catrin that the changes she is experiencing is because she is the Herald of Istra. Catrin, Benji, Osbourne and the rest of the group set out for the Greatland to locate the Cathurans. They can help Catrin learn about her new powers and how to use them.

Let me first start off by saying this story completely surprised me in a good way. Fantasy books and I have a so, so relationship. I acknowledge they are out there and they usually don’t make an appearance on my bookshelf. This works well for both of us till now. The Dawning of Power is kind of like a cross between The Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter. Let me tell you that is saying something about the book and the author. I honestly could not stop reading this book. I completed it in two days, it was that good. Though there is one minor flaw and that is that there were too many characters. I had a little trouble keeping up with them all. The Dawning of Power is the first novel I have read by Brian Rathbone and it won’t be the last.

Comments

I like fantasy... a lot (= I'll definitely have to check this one out! I'm glad you liked it Cheryl.

The cover is interesting too, in a good way of course (=
Melissa O. said…
Thanks for this review! I loved both The Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter, so I can't wait to check this one out!! Glad you enjoyed it!!
Melissa O. said…
I just finished it up today and posted my review. Loved it!! Glad I came across it on your blog :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Get Buck Naked!

Don't Say a Word: A Daughter's Two Cents

Aberrations