The Way to London

Exiled to England to stay with an aunt she barely remembers, Lucy Stanhope, the granddaughter of an ear, never dreamed that she would be one of the last people to escape Singapore before war engulfs the entire island, and that her parents would disappear in the devastating aftermath. Now grief stricken and all alone, she must cope with the realities of a grim, battle-weary England.

Then she meets Bill, a young evacuee sent to the country to escape the Blitz, and in a moment of weakness, Lucy agrees to help him find his mother in London. The unlikely runaways take off on a seemingly simple journey across the country, but her world becomes even more complicated when she is reunited with an invalided soldier she knew in Singapore. Now Lucy will be forced to finally confront the choices she has made if she ever hopes to have the future she yearns for.

My Review

I looked forward to reading this book. I am a fan of these types of books. As the saying goes, the first impression is the most important. Well my first impression of Lucy was not a great one. I found her to be inconsiderate, disrespectful, and childish. I am glad that her step father and mother finally took a stand against Lucy and sent her away, even if it took an incident to make them act.

After, that incident, I thought I would try to be open minded towards Lucy, thinking that she would change for the better. Which, she did but it was a slow change. One that I would and expect. It is not like I expected Lucy to change overnight. Although, I had another problem. It was the rest of the story and the other characters. I found no connection to any of it. Thus it made it made for me to want to stick with this book and continue until the end. Not, that I did as I only made it about half way. I lost my way to London.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Get Buck Naked!

Don't Say a Word: A Daughter's Two Cents

Aberrations