The Legacy of Beezer and Boomer: Lessons on Living and Dying from My Canine Brothers gets five paws



When Doug Koktavy and his wife, Carolina was still married, Carolina suggested that they get a dog. Doug was against the idea at first but when a friend called and said asked if they would like a dog, Doug couldn’t say no. Doug and Carolina brought home a Black Labrador male that they named Boomer. A couple of weeks later, their friend called again and said they had two puppies left, would they consider a second dog. Thus, Beezer became the newest addition to the family.

Boomer and Beezer got their names from hockey players. Mr. Koktavy used to play ice hockey and is a fan. Boomer was named after Bernie “Boom Boom” or “Da Boomer” Geoffrion. Bernie used to play for the Montréal Canadians. Beezer was named after goalie, John “Beezer” Vanbiesbrouck.

Doug really loved Boomer and Beezer so much that when he and Carolina split, he asked to keep them. The three of them were inseparable. When Beezer was nine years old, he was diagnosed with kidney failure. In fact most of the littler that Boomer and Beezer came from had kidney failure. Doug and Boomer cared for Beezer until his death. Two years later Boomer died of bone cancer and kidney failure.

The Legacy of Beezer and Boomer: Lessons on Living and Dying from My Canine Brothers is a tear jerker. I cried as soon as I started reading this book and cried several more times throughout the book. Though, I also found myself laughing and smiling at the things Beezer and Boomer would do. So glad that Mr. Koktavy shared Beezer and Boomer with me and other readers. My favorite parts were the letters that Doug wrote to Beezer and Boomer and the letters they wrote to him. The letters were so intimate but something I would have done. My favorite type of dog is a Labrador. I have owned every color…yellow, black and chocolate. The way Doug communicated with Boomer and Beezer with just a look is something that only pet owners would understand. I thought it was great that Mr. Koktavy shared his knowledge and pain with others in support groups online. Be prepared and have a box of tissues with you when you read this book. The Legacy of Beezer and Boomer: Lessons on Living and Dying from My Canine Brothers gets five paws.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Get Buck Naked!

Don't Say a Word: A Daughter's Two Cents

Aberrations