Sorority Sisters will become your new best friend.


The year is 1975.


Laurie is looking for girl power, even if it means she has to find it at University of Los Angeles's sorority house, Beta Pi. Karen is a prim and proper lady. She does what her mother wants her to do. This is why she joined Beta Pi. Her mother felt she should have lots of friends. Ellen was meant to be a sorority girl. She lives for the parties and drinking. Finally there is Diane. Diane is in ROTC, besides being a Beta Pi. This is because, she almost flunked college and her father told her that he was no longer paying unless she found a way to pay for college. Thus this is part of the reason why Diane is so popular with the guys. The other reason is her looks.

The four women form a bond. Not only just through college but even after college. The women laugh, cry, and help each other raise families together.

I have never been in a sorority. After reading this book, I can understand what the appeal might be to join one...the girlfriends you make for life. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. I admit that I had reservations as I instantly wanted to label this book a chick lit before I had read it. I liked the four women. They each brought something fun and entertaining to the group. I must admit although that I liked Ellen a lot. She had spunk. She says what is on her mind. There were times that I wanted to scream at Laurie and her poor taste in men. Both Karen and Diane grew up to be smart, wonderful women. Sorority Sisters is a book worth your time and money. Sorority Sisters will become your new best friend.

Courtesy of Claudia Welsh's newsletter

I was a sorority girl. I met women in Alpha Phi who are still my friends, women who are sisters of my heart.


We all have those women in our lives. I wanted to write a story that honors and acknowledges that special bond. It was risky not only because I’d never written a book like this before, but because sorority girls have such a strong image, negative for some people, and that can make a person hate the book based on just the title. In fact, my editor told me she chose the college she attended because it didn’t have a fraternal system; she hated the idea of sororities that much. Talk about an uphill battle! The fact that she bought the book was a huge leap for her. After she read the finished book, she told me that she wished now she’d joined a sorority. Victory!

But this isn’t a book about sororities, not really. It’s a book about women. About how we need each other, and about how women love each other through it all, through bad break-ups and marriage and sickness and children and career changes. We’re there for each other, no matter what. Because with sisters, it’s not about what happens. It’s about no matter what happens.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Get Buck Naked!

Don't Say a Word: A Daughter's Two Cents

Aberrations