The Night Monster


Detective Jack Carpenter is in charge of Broward County Sheriff Department’s Missing Persons Unit. He is good at his job, though he will never forget the time that he met a monster. Before he was detective, Jack was driving home when he responded to a call that a woman was being assaulted. Jack arrived at the location, only to come face to face with a man so horrifying that he almost couldn’t be called human.

Jack hoped to never see that nightmare again. Unfortunately, Jack will enter hell and there is no turning back. When one of Jack’s daughter’s basketball team mates is kidnapped, Jack is on the case. This time it is personal. The person who took the girl is the same monster that Jack met years ago. Jack’s investigating will take him all over and meeting some very shady characters.

The Night Monster is the first book I have read by this author. I applaud Mr. Swain on this book. He has a really animated writing style that just drew me into this book from the first chapter. I couldn’t stop reading. I like Jack. Most detectives are cold and unemotional. Jack is hard core but at the same time he has a human personality to him that makes him more inviting. While I did like this book and Jack, the one small problem I had if you could call it that is that Jack and the monster were the only really interesting characters in this story. I would have liked to have seen the other characters, though they were secondary but some what intriguing to help the story line better. Overall, The Night Monster is a good read.

Comments

Stephanie said…
What an awesome review! I especially like the way you described the way Jack's character was crafted. I really like character driven thrillers.

http://starkravingbibliophile.blogspot.com/

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Get Buck Naked!

Don't Say a Word: A Daughter's Two Cents

Aberrations