It's a lovely time with Debbie Alferio

I just recently discovered this new author. Well as you all know me I love sharing my discoveries of new authors. I introduce you to Debbie Alferio, author of the Forever series.


First off let me say thank you for doing this interview. It was a pleasure.

Thank you! The pleasure is all mine, and I appreciate your interest in me and my work.



What’s your idea of a relaxing day?

Sleeping late, doing some writing in my pj’s until early afternoon, having lunch, and then just hanging out with my husband and sons for the rest of the day.


Where do you draw your inspirations from? Who are your inspirations?

The inspiration for my books actually came from a dream. In the dream, I was talking to a man I didn’t know and addressed him as Mitch, although I know no one by that name. When I woke up, I began to write the story that was forming in my head. Six months later I had completed my first novel, A Forever Kind of Love, and my “dream man” became Mitch Tarrington, my lead character. I feel that I was truly Divinely Inspired and continue to draw on that same inspiration today.

As for my characters, they really weren’t intended to be inspired by anyone; however, Dana is definitely my fictional alter ego, and Mitch has personality traits of both my husband and oldest son.


How do you tackle writer’s block?

I have found that the best thing to do is simply to get away from the computer and get myself involved in another task for a while. If I try to force myself through it, all it does is actually make matters worse. Most of the time, if I can take my mind off the writing, the ideas will come to me out of the blue; and when I sit back down, I’m ready to get going again.


Do deadlines help or hinder your muse?

Fortunately, the only deadlines I have are self-imposed, so this really isn’t a big concern for me.


What did you do with the money from your first sale?

Gosh, I can’t remember! I believe I actually saved it for use toward promoting the book. Doesn’t sound like much fun, I know, but I was on a tight budget at the time.


How do you keep your series fresh?


So far it hasn’t been difficult being that I just released my second book. Each book has a cliffhanger ending which gets resolved in the next book and that “resolution” becomes the main plotline. I also have a few subplots in each book just to keep it interesting. Readers enjoy seeing what happens to the characters and how they evolve from story to story. They get to know them on a personal level. It’s like following the lives of good friends.


How long have you been writing romances? How long were you seriously writing before you were published?

I have actually been writing now for almost four years. I did no serious writing prior to the morning after I had the dream about Mitch.


You have such a wide range of readers. Why do you think that is? What is it about your books that everyone from young readers to seniors love about your books?

I believe that my appeal to such a diverse group comes from two main factors: my realistic approach to writing and that my books contain no sexually explicit material or strong language. I have had several readers tell me that they can personally relate to one of the characters or scenes from the books, and they feel as if they are actually “in the story.” I have also encountered many readers who enjoy romance but prefer not to indulge in the strong “adult” themes many of them now include.


How do you feel about self-published books (not self-help) vs. books published by major companies?

As a self-published author, I understand the hard work and dedication these authors take to get their books into the marketplace. Yes, there is a stigma in some peoples’ eyes that self-published books aren’t as high quality as traditionally published ones. This is a terrible untruth. The choice of whether to self- or traditionally publish is just that and nothing more. A choice. It has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the work or the author’s writing ability. I, along with many others, chose to self-publish simply because I was eager to share my work with interested readers. I understand that it can often take many years to secure a traditional publishing contract, and sometimes several more years to become published. I guess you could say I’m impatient! lol I also enjoy the freedom of being my own agent, retaining complete rights to my work, and having the final say on storylines, book covers and the like. Again, each author must choose what is right for them personally, and there is really no right or wrong.


If you were not a writer what would you be?

Believe it or not, the only thing I really wanted to be as a young girl was a wife and mother. I love the traditional role of the stay-at-home mom and having the privilege of making a home for my husband and sons.


Whose books do you like to read?

Recently I have been reading books by authors that I know personally or whom I have had the pleasure of meeting. The last book I read was Queens & Crescents by Barry Southers, a wonderful author I held a signing with in Cincinnati, Ohio, last year. It was romantic, suspenseful, and mysterious all rolled into one. A great read! I am just about to begin A Better Day Dawning by my good friend, Becky Conrad, which is a sequel to her first, The Door of Façade.


Can you share any exciting career news?

The most exciting news I have right now is the recent release of my second novel, Waiting for Tomorrow. It is being very well received by the readers; it just came out in May and already people are asking for the next book to see what happens! I will also be making several appearances this fall—please visit my website at www.freewebs.com/debsbooks for more information.






Website www.freewebs.com/debsbooks



To sample Waiting for Tomorrow.

A Free Preview of the story can be found on http://www.authorhouse.com/. Click on "Book Store" at the top and type in Debbie Alferio. You will be directed to the book; simply click on the title or cover to get to the page.

Due to the high amount of positive response to the 'Forever Love' Series, I have begun a "contact list" for interested readers. If you would like to receive periodic email notices about the books and the availability of future titles, please contact me at dkalferio@yahoo.com and be sure to include your name, address and e-mail address (if available).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Get Buck Naked!

Don't Say a Word: A Daughter's Two Cents

Aberrations