The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)

The Jewel means wealth. The Jewel means beauty. The Jewel means royalty. But for girls like Violet, the Jewel means servitude. Not just any kind of servitude. Violet, born and raised in the Marsh, has been trained as a surrogate for the royalty—because in the Jewel the only thing more important than opulence is offspring.

Purchased at the surrogacy auction by the Duchess of the Lake and greeted with a slap to the face, Violet (now known only as #197) quickly learns of the brutal truths that lie beneath the Jewel’s glittering facade: the cruelty, backstabbing, and hidden violence that have become the royal way of life.

Violet must accept the ugly realities of her existence... and try to stay alive. But then a forbidden romance erupts between Violet and a handsome gentleman hired as a companion to the Duchess’s petulant niece. Though his presence makes life in the Jewel a bit brighter, the consequences of their illicit relationship will cost them both more than they bargained for.


My Review

I was on the fence about whether to pick up a copy of this book until I saw a fellow reader friend of mine had read it and enjoyed it. I did not really read her thoughts on the book but just saw the high rating she gave it. I don't particularly like to read others thoughts about a book until after I have tried the book myself or unless I am really on the fence about whether to read a book or pass on it. I just don't want others thoughts to really taint me until I have tried the book. I want to have a unclear idea going into the book.

So having said all of that, I absolutely had a very enjoyable time reading this book. Although, not too sure about the love triangle at this time. I need to get to know more about Lucien and Ash before I can make up my mind about who Violet should really be with. So I was a little disappointed in this area that the author just pushed Violet towards the guys right away. Other than this I did love the world that the author built with this story. The story takes a little bit of a dark side which I liked. I can't wait to get my hands on book two and see what happens next to Violet, Lucien, Ash, and their time in the Jewel.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Get Buck Naked!

Don't Say a Word: A Daughter's Two Cents

Aberrations