The Book Thief


This book is narrated by none other than death itself. We start out with Liesel Meminger a young girl living with her foster parents Rosa and Herr Hubermanns, outside of Munich in Nazi Germany.

Liesel steals her first book at the cemetery of her little bother. The next book stolen is during a burning party of propaganda. During this time her father, Herr teaches her to read in their basement.

Ruby Steiner, her best friend gets into all kind of trouble like standing up to some bullies at the Nazi youth diversion, stealing food, and following Liesel on her many trips to the mayor’s house, where she steals many of her books from.

Everything is all good till one day a Jew by the name of Max Vandenburg asks for her father’s help. Hiding in the Hubermanns’s basement, Liesel and Max learn they have many things in common


This book was such a joy to read. It was refreshing and different. I loved it so much that I read it in one day. Plus the aspect of death narrating this book was great too. The Book Thief shows you that books are so precious in any culture. This was such a simple but powerful book.

I give this book 5 stars.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I have heard so many good things about this book. I have got to take the time to read it!!
Linda Jacobs said…
Oh, oh, oh, This book sounds excellent! I'll definitely be putting it on my list for when I go to Borders soon.
Becky LeJeune said…
I have heard really good things about this as well. I think at the very least I will have to get it for my sisters, then, if I don't have time to get to it, they can tell me all about it!
This really is such a great book isn't it. I just picked the winner for my 26a contest - and it was you! Can you email me please at clareswindlehurst @ gmail . com and let me know where to send the book :)

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Get Buck Naked!

Don't Say a Word: A Daughter's Two Cents

Aberrations