Book Review: Coming Home


 Coming from a small, rural town in North Carolina, Sawyer grapples with what it means to grow up queer, where the population of queer people was, to the untrained eye, non-existent. Nuanced with the societal constructs of the gender binary, they deconstruct what it means to be queer in an evangelical Southern family. From growing up being a family proclaimed “tomboy,” to joining the Army under Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell, Sawyer brings you a collection of essays detailing everything from coming out, to family life to church hurt and everything in between. Candid, honest, insightful, and sometimes breathtakingly haunting,


Coming Home is all about finding your queer voice in a heteronormative world. With an honest zeal for life, this set of essays will show you what it truly means to come home.


My Review

If you don't know the author is big on Instagram. They are a big supporter and vocal advocate for transgender rights. Rights that sadly people should not have to fight for in today's society. The world has changed and so should everyone's rights be valued. No one person should be considered better than another. So don't sit back and do nothing but step up and be part of the solution.

OMG, I loved reading this memoir. I am friends with Cole on Instagram. I have been anxiously awaiting reading this book ever since they shared, they were writing this book. I was so not ready for how great it was. I mean I knew it was going to be good but Cole, you really blew me away with the rawness you shared.

I went through so many emotions while reading this book. I got mad, sad, happy, and laughed. Of course, the happiest chapter was when Cole shared meeting the love of their life with Alisha. XOXO.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Get Buck Naked!

Don't Say a Word: A Daughter's Two Cents

Book Giveaway