A Sit Down with Sarita Leone!

I am so excited to bring to you today a great author. Her name is Sarita Leone. I discovered her when I picked her book to review for Fallen Angel reviews. So glad I did as Vineyard Mambo is a great book. Read my review of this book at Fallen Angel reviews. It will be posted on the site at the end of the month. Hope you enjoy the interview and will go pick up yourself a copy of this book and all the other books by Sarita Leone.




First off, let me start by thanking you for taking the time to do this interview.

Honestly, I'm thrilled to be asked. Thanks for having me; I love "chatting" with readers!


Explain what a day in the life of an author is like? How long does it take from start to finish to complete a book?

My day is just like anyone else's I suppose. I do the "normal" stuff...laundry, housekeeping, cooking. I find time each day for exercise. In the summer months I garden. I spend time with my husband...that's my favorite part of any day!

Probably the thing about my day that is a little bit different is that I generally get up early, say 3 or 4, and write for a few hours before my husband wakes up. This way, unless I've got a deadline, my days are free to spend with him. I don't mind getting less sleep, while I would mind having less time with my hubby. So, to accomodate my writing, my days are usually long ones but I'm happy with that. The schedule lets me get everything done that's important to me.

The second part of your first question is a tough one. The time it takes to write a book varies with the book. Some seem to almost write themselves while others are a bit more challenging. The book I'm working on now has been in my files for the past six months or so. Until this past week it's been giving me a run for my money but I think I've finally figured the story out. Fingers crossed!


Where is your favorite place to hike?

Ah! An easy one, thank you! Hands down, my favorite hiking spot is our own property. We have a forest and some land, and thanks to Mother Nature it's constantly changing. I love poking around in the woods, finding new wildflowers and watching the birds, butterflies and wild animals. We have foxes living nearby. We've been on "baby watch" lately, hoping to catch a glimpse of the baby foxes. We haven't seen them yet, but we're still watching...








Which comes first for you … the character or the plot?

Again, that varies, but most often it's the plot.


I read on your blog that you write cookbooks. That is great. So I have to ask are you a Martha Stewart in the kitchen?


I wish you could hear me laughing! I am so not Martha! My husband can vouch for that one, since he's the object of my cooking "tests" and the guy who is usually called to quiet the smoke alarm when I've forgotten to set the baking timer! But what I lack in finesse, I make up for with enthusiasm, I think. I love cooking and baking so time in the kitchen is usually fun for me. I get such a kick out of concocting recipes and trying new things. And I love writing cookbooks so others can (hopefully!) enjoy some of the things that make our smoke alarm squeal!


If you could try any other profession in the world. What would it be and why?

There are so many, I don't think I could name just one. I'm pretty curious, so I'd love to try a lot of new things.

Circus performer, definitely, because they travel and wear neat costumes. I wouldn't mind being a rancher, but only for a while, just to try it out. I think I'd like the wide open space setting but I'm not sure I'd be thrilled with sitting on a saddle all day long. My fanny smarts just thinking about that one. Hmm...really, there are lots I wouldn't mind trying but in the end I don't believe I'd trade mine for another.


How did you come up with the titles for the chapters in Vineyard Mambo? Titles like Hot Waffle Kisses or Grilled Pizza and Cold Leads.

I had chapter titles in my first book, Snowdance, too. I put them there because I like it when I read a book with chapter titles, so I wanted to give that feature to my readers in my own books. The titles come before I begin to write the chapter. They come from my intention for where the book's headed with regard to the particular chapter. In Hot Waffle Kisses I knew before I sat down to write that Anna and Tony were going to have a hotter sort of breakfast interlude so it seemed a natural place to start, with that chapter heading. That's pretty much the way they all come about.


That was very creative naming the cat Merlot in the book. Do you have pets? What are their names?

Thank you! We do have a cat. Her name is Piglet but she doesn't know she's a cat. She honestly, truly, I'm sure of it, thinks she's human. We're not going to tell her otherwise. Why burst her little bubble? *G*



How much research do you do and how do you do it?

The amount of research definitely depends on the book. Part of Snowdance takes place during World War II, so it required a fair amount. I used the Internet for a lot of it but I also did it the old-fashioned way: I talked to people who were around during the war. I read a lot of books on the subject, too. And that's really the way I handle all research, whatever the topic. I try and find someone who can tell me firsthand about the subject; then I fill in the gaps on my own. I've found that most people like to talk about things close to their heart. The trick is finding the person whose passion suits the research topic!


Name some other authors books you enjoy reading?

There are so many but Stephen King is hands down my favorite author.


Does reader's feedback help you with your writing? Is feedback something that is very important to you?

I love hearing from readers so reader feedback is very important to me. It matters because my readers matter. It makes my day to hear someone has been touched by something I've written! It's such a thrill!

I've printed out every letter I've gotten from readers. I keep them in a special box and just knowing they're there is something I smile about. :)


What do you want your readers to take from your books?

Welcoming a reader into a story is a dream come true for me. I'd love it if readers could enjoy reading a story as much as I enjoyed writing it.

Honestly, I'd just love it if at the end of the story the reader could sit back, smile and think, Now, I liked that. If something I've written makes just one person happy today, I'm satisfied. If that happens, I can sit back and smile and think, Now, I like that. It makes my day.




Cheryl, thanks so much for having me here today. You asked great interview questions; I hope I've done them justice. This has been a fun experience for me!

Thank you for reading Vineyard Mambo. Anna, Tony, Nonno and Merlot came from my heart and I really hope they find a place in readers' hearts, too. I've loved having the opportunity to chat about them, and about books, writing and life with you. :)



To read more about Mrs. Leone's books and to keep up on coming novels. Go to her website at http://www.saritaleone.com/

Comments

Dru said…
That was a great interview.
Anonymous said…
I'm with Dru - great interview. I haven't heard of this author before. You are discovering some pretty darn cool ones!
Melissa McClone said…
Great interview! It's nice to learn more about an author through such good questions! And answers :-)
Linda said…
I like the questions you asked! This was very well done.

Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting. It's fun getting to know new poeple.
Sarita Leone said…
Dru, it's so good to see you here! Thanks for stopping by! :)
Sarita Leone said…
J. Kaye, It's interesting to discover some new fellow bloggers, too. I visited your book blog and loved the rolling sidebar.

Thanks for stopping by. And I appreciate your kindness about the interview. Cheryl asked great questions! :)

Have a nice day.
Sarita Leone said…
Melissa, it was great to have such insightful questions to answer. I was honestly a little bit nervous about being interviewed, but Cheryl was a great interviewer and made it all really easy for me. :)

Thanks for stopping by!
Sarita Leone said…
Thanks so much for stopping by Linda! You're completely right; Cheryl asked super questions.

I love the photos on your blog! Great pictures of the invitations and thank yous, as well as darling children. Such a happy looking blog. :)

Have a great day!
Sarita Leone said…
Cheryl,

Thanks so much for inviting be to be interviewed. I had a blast doing this with you! You asked wonderful questions and made it all so easy and fun for me. I really enjoyed myself! :)

Have a great Tuesday!

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Get Buck Naked!

Don't Say a Word: A Daughter's Two Cents

Aberrations