Book Review: Shed my Skin

 


I'm tired.
Tired of the spotlight. Tired of fighting my demons. The guilt and shame have become too heavy to continue.
It's time for me to go. Though my grip slips more each day, I need to hold on just a little longer. I need them to know the truth. That this fight was never theirs. My soul mate. My brother. My protector. And her. My Canary, my heart. My lullaby with whiskey eyes.
I love you with all that's within me. I just wish I had more than darkness to offer.

This road has been long and winding
And I’m too tired to go on
Pain and sorrow have haunted me
Guilt and regret fill my mind
I can’t go on, I can’t keep fighting
This is my goodbye but it’s only for a little while
You were the one who kept me afloat
For you have I tried to keep breathing
But these ghosts haunt my soul and mind
This may be my last note
But from you, I’ll never be far
This is goodbye but it’s only for a little while
It won’t be long now but don’t shed a tear
Don’t cry for me or mourn my name
Cause I will always be with you
Even after I’m gone
My last song is goodbye but it’s only for a little while

*This is book 1 of 2 of Maddox Masters story and ends on a cliffhanger
**This is a standalone novel but is more enjoyable if read in order.

Trigger Warning: This book contains violence, explicit sex, drug and alcohol abuse, mental illness, suicide, and sexual assault. Discretion is strongly advised.
 


My Review

To be honest, I don't really remember Maddox from any of the prior books in this series. Yet, I felt like that did not matter because the Maddox I might have remembered would not be the same one portrayed in this book. 

I have to say that this is probably the darkest and rawest book that I have read in this series. What I mean by this is that Nola really stripped-down Maddox and showed just who he really is. He may have come off as a bad boy but underneath all the complex layers is someone who is really hurting and fighting to keep his personal demons at bay. 

The first half of the story really focused on Maddox. Later did Quinn make more of an appearance. Yes, the sex was hot but what they shared was on a deeper level. I look forward to the next book in this series. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Get Buck Naked!

Don't Say a Word: A Daughter's Two Cents

Book Giveaway