Poison

Poison is a literary psychological thriller about a marriage that follows minor betrayal into a bubbling stew of lies, cruelty, manipulation, and danger.

Cass and Ryan Connor have achieved family nirvana. With three kids between them, a cat and a yard, a home they built and feathered, they seem to have the Modern Family dream. Their family, including Cass' two children from previous relationships, has recently moved to Portland —a new start for their new lives. Cass and Ryan have stable, successful careers, and they are happy. But trouble begins almost imperceptibly. First with small omissions and white lies that happen daily in any marital bedroom. They seem insignificant, but they are quickly followed by a series of denials and feints that mushroom and then cyclone in menace.

With life-or-death stakes and irreversible consequences, Poison is a chilling and irresistible reminder that the closest bond designed to protect and provide for each other and for children can change in a minute.
  

My Review

I am a fan of physiological thrillers. Books can get into your mind and activate that self doubt. Self doubt wondering if what you are reading is real. That is what happened as I was reading this book. Although, it took a while for this to build up. It was almost too slow.

Neither Cass or Ryan were interesting. Either together or separately. Plus, they did not encourage an emotional connection with me the reader. I seek a strong connection to the characters or at least the affected one(s) so that I feel like I am in the character's shoes. There was something that did tug at me that kept me reading.

I will comment and say that as the story progressed, it did grow on me and got better. The last several chapters were the best. This is when the story all came together. Poison is like an IV drip of addiction that gets into your veins and keeps you wondering..."What if"!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Get Buck Naked!

Don't Say a Word: A Daughter's Two Cents

Aberrations