I Like You Like This

In 1984 Connecticut, sixteen-year-old Hannah Zandana feels cursed: She has wild, uncontrollable hair and a horrid complexion that she compulsively picks, and as if that weren't bad enough, her emotionally unavailable parents mercilessly ridicule her appearance and verbally shame her. 

Wanting to change her pathetic life, Hannah attempts to impress a group of popular girls--an ill-fated effort, except that it gets her the attention of Deacon, a handsome and mysterious boy who also happens to be her school's resident drug dealer. Suddenly, Hannah's life takes an unexpected detour into Deacon's dangerous and seductive world--but when her relationship and family unravel around her, she is forced to reexamine what she believes about herself and the people she trusts the most.


My Review

Author, Heather Cumiskey tackles a lot of sensitive issues in this book. I Like you Like This is written with a maturity that will be appreciated by all readers. A beautiful masterpiece! The main protagonist, Hannah starts out in a cocoon and by the end of the story has emerged into a beautiful butterfly. 

It was easy to connect with Hannah. The way she was verbal and physical abused by her family and schoolmates, brought me the reader on an emotional connection with Hannah. It was as if besides Deacon, I was her only true friend. This book is so relevant to today's society. The things that Hannah experienced makes it easy to see why young people commit suicide. We need to help encourage and embrace diversity and not look down on it. I know when I was younger, I was bullied for my nationality. I was only in the second grade; way too young to have to deal with this. 

Deacon was misunderstood as well. Hannah and Deacon were two lost souls in the sea of life. They only had each other as lifesavers. Deacon surprised me by the gentle spirit that he shown towards Hannah. The connection they shared went way beyond a physical one. This book is a truly must read!  

Check out my Instagram post.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Get Buck Naked!

Don't Say a Word: A Daughter's Two Cents

Aberrations