The Screaming Divas

 
Book Summary
 
At sixteen, Trudy Baxter is tired of her debutante mom, her deadbeat dad, and her standing reservation at the juvenile detention center. Changing her name to Trudy Sin, she cranks up her major chops as a singer and starts a band, gathering around other girls ill at ease in their own lives. Cassie Haywood, would-have-been beauty queen, was scarred in an accident in which her alcoholic mom was killed. But she can still sing and play her guitar, even though she seeks way too much relief from the pain in her body and her heart through drugs, and way too much relief from loneliness through casual sex. Still, it's Cassie who hears former child prodigy Harumi Yokoyama playing in a punk band at a party, and enlists her, outraging Harumi's overbearing first-generation Japanese parents. The fourth member is Esther Shealy, who joins as a drummer in order to be close to Cassie--the long-time object of her unrequited love--and Harumi, her estranged childhood friend. Together, they are Screaming Divas, and they're quickly swept up as a local sensation. Then, just as they are about to achieve their rock-girl dreams, a tragedy strikes.

My review

I like the idea of a all girl band. They can be empowering. Not that I would really know as I am not in a band. However I can imagine that women showing that they are just as good as men at things is always a great thing. My problem is that none of the girls in this book were that endearing to me. Thus I could not really get into the story. I tried to stick with it hoping that I would feel something for the girls but their problems and attitudes overwhelmed me and I did not care for it. Plus I thought that the story would eventually become more positive and upbeat. There is only so much of trouble with boys and drugs that I can take. Even the songs they sang while they were meaningful were sad. The ending was also sad. If you wanted to ever show your kids how not to act and the end result than let them read this book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Get Buck Naked!

Don't Say a Word: A Daughter's Two Cents

Aberrations