Toward That Which is Beautiful

On an ordinary day in June of 1964 in a small town in the Altiplano of Peru, Sister Mary Katherine (formerly known as Kate), a young American nun recently arrived in this very foreign place, walks away from her convent with no money and no destination. Desperate and afraid of her feelings for an Irish priest with whom she has been working, she spends eight days on the run, encountering a variety of characters along the way: a cynical Englishman who helps her out; a suspicious Peruvian police officer who takes her in for questioning; and two American Peace Corps workers who befriend her. As Kate traverses this dangerous physical journey through Peru, she also embarks upon an interior journey of self-discovery―one that leads her somewhere she never could have expected.


My Review

This is the first book I have read by this author. I just fell in love with the rich landscape and history intertwined in this story. Instantly I was transported to Peru. The whole time I was reading, I was on the journey with Mary Katherine. Everything she saw, the people she met, and the places she went; I experienced it all. 

When I learned how this title came to be, I loved it even more. There is so much beauty in this story. It is almost hard to describe this book as my words don't really do it justice. Once I started reading I was so captivated by the story that I could/did not want to stop reading. In fact, this book was a one seat read for me. I highly recommend this book to readers. Not to be missed. It is in my top five best reads for 2020!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Get Buck Naked!

Don't Say a Word: A Daughter's Two Cents

Aberrations