Let Me Die in His Footsteps




In the spellbinding and suspenseful Let Me Die in His Footsteps, Edgar Award–winner Lori Roy wrests from a Southern town the secrets of two families touched by an evil that has passed between generations.

On a dark Kentucky night in 1952 exactly halfway between her fifteenth and sixteenth birthdays, Annie Holleran crosses into forbidden territory. Everyone knows Hollerans don’t go near Baines, not since Joseph Carl was buried two decades before, but, armed with a silver-handled flashlight, Annie runs through her family’s lavender fields toward the well on the Baines’ place. At the stroke of midnight, she gazes into the water in search of her future. Not finding what she had hoped for, she turns from the well and when the body she sees there in the moonlight is discovered come morning, Annie will have much to explain and a past to account for.

It was 1936, and there were seven Baine boys. That year, Annie’s aunt, Juna Crowley, with her black eyes and her long blond hair, came of age. Before Juna, Joseph Carl had been the best of all the Baine brothers. But then he looked into Juna’s eyes and they made him do things that cost innocent people their lives. Sheriff Irlene Fulkerson saw justice served—or did she?

As the lavender harvest approaches and she comes of age as Aunt Juna did in her own time, Annie’s dread mounts. Juna will come home now, to finish what she started. If Annie is to save herself, her family, and this small Kentucky town, she must prepare for Juna’s return, and the revelation of what really happened all those years ago



My Review

This is one book that I had my eyes on for a while since I started seeing it on the internet for about a month now. I could not wait to check it out. I got a copy and right away picked up the book to read it, just knowing it was going to be good. Sadly, this book did not live up to my expectations of it. Nothing drew me into this book. That is the problem that I had with it. Neither the two leading ladies stories, Annie or Juna had exciting stories to tell me. In fact, when the body was found, I did not even have a reaction. This is because I did not realize the body had been found until after Annie reacted. Then I had to go back and re-read this section. Yet, with this bump in the road, I did stick with the book because I hoped that it would get better. However I found myself skimming the book more than I was digesting what I was reading. After getting about almost half way I put the book down for good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Get Buck Naked!

Don't Say a Word: A Daughter's Two Cents

Aberrations