Anyone But You: A Modern-Day Spin on Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet

Book Summary

Gigi Caputo is fed up. A vicious act of vandalism has dealt another blow to her family's proud pizza heritage, and the Montes--owners of a rival Italian restaurant--are clearly to blame. The hostility goes far beyond bragging rights for best pizza in Chicago. The Montes have been bent on destroying Cap's for four generations. Even if it means putting herself in harm's way, Gigi's determined to get to the bottom of the feud. Instead, in a secret encounter with Roman Monte, the very boy whose relatives have brought her family such grief, she finds both danger and love at first sight. If the daughter and son of these two warring families fall for each other, can it be anything but a recipe for disaster? Slowly, Gigi and Roman learn that their story is fatefully linked to the summer of 1933, when two twelve-year-olds, Benny and Nick, hop the turnstile at the Chicago World's Fair. The most stunning wonder of the fair is Stella, who innocently causes a lasting rift between the two boyhood. Wending its way through past and present day, this modern take on Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet is bittersweet, funny, and intensely exciting. It's classic romance--a tale of hate and the only force that can ever defeat it: love.


My Review:

I have read every book in this series. Each one can be read as a stand alone novel. By far my favorite book is this one. I loved the modern day twist that the authors put on the famed couple, Romeo and Juliet. It is hard to find anything original anymore that does this story justice. I thought that the authors did a good job of revamping this tale. However I must admit that I found I liked when I went back in time with Benny and Nick. They were really the "meat" of the story and how the feud between the Caputos and the Montes.

I could not stop reading this book. However in the beginning it did take me a moment to figure out the flow of the book. With each chapter alternating between the present and the past. So to stop and switch the flow from what was happening in the present to go back to the past was not as smooth. It only took me until the beginning of chapter three to figure this out. I liked the ending. Anyone But You is a charming, fun book to read.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Get Buck Naked!

Don't Say a Word: A Daughter's Two Cents

Aberrations