Sister of Mine + Chatting with Laurie Petrou

Sisters, like secrets, are best kept close.Penny and Hattie, orphaned sisters in a small town, are best friends, bound together to the point of knots. But Penny, at the mercy of her brutal husband, is desperate for a fresh start. Willing to do anything for her older sister, Hattie agrees to help. A match is struck and a fire burns Penny’s marriage to the ground. With her husband gone, Penny is free, and the sisters, it seems, get away with murder. But freedom comes at a cost.

More than a year after the fire, a charming young man comes to town. Hattie and Penny quickly bring him into the fold and into their hearts but their love for him threatens the delicate balance. Soon long-held resentments, sibling rivalry, and debts unpaid boil over, and the bonds of sisterhood begin to snap. As one little lie grows into the next, the sisters’ secrets will unravel, eroding their lives until only a single, horrible truth remains: You owe me.

A compelling novel of suspense from a talented new voice, Sister of Mine asks us to consider the bonds of family, what it takes to commit the unthinkable, and how far you’ll go to protect the ones you love.


My Review

I was looking forward to reading this book. I was in the mood for a good physiological thriller. Yet, I struggled early on with this book. The sisters were fine but there was nothing interesting about them. Also, the story started moving out slowly. I kept waiting for the story to pick up but it was mot moving fast enough for me. My reading speed of this book was more of a stop and go. After doing this several times, I personally could not go on further reading this book.




AUTHOR Q&A

Laurie Petrou

 

1.      What made you want to focus on a relationship between two sisters?

A: I have always loved fictional siblings and families: from Salinger’s Glass family to Roddy Doyle’s close-knit family in The Snapper, but also close fictional friendships that last lifetimes. I have a life-long best friend (Nicole), and other very close girlfriends. I have a brother with whom I am very close. Luckily none of these relationships have ever become toxic or strained, but I wouldn’t be who I am without them, and to that end, so much of how we identify and who we are can be wrapped up with those people with whom we are close. This interests me.

2.      The Grayson sisters have a very complicated relationship. Did you base their relationship off of anyone’s you know in real life?

A: No, they are a product of my wondering about how far we could push very close relationships before they buckle under the strain.

3.      Hattie and Penny are both incredibly unique and underused names, as is Jameson. How did you go about choosing them for your main characters?

A: Oooh! Good question..I’ve always liked the name Hattie, or Harriet. I seem to remember wanting both names to be able to be shortened, whimsical in their nickname but more formal in their given names. I can’t remember when I thought of Jameson, but I can’t see him as anything else. Sometimes, right before I’m done a book, I change some of the names. It might be a function of my trying to see if they still work (a rose by any other name and all that). I believe Iain’s name changed a couple of times.

4.      Who or what shaped your love of writing?

A: My parents are both voracious readers, as is my brother Michael and bestie Nicole. I have always read, which is like laying the necessary groundwork for writing. I had wonderful teachers in high school who encouraged creative writing. Writer’s Craft was one of my favourite classes; I remember feeling such a thrill working on my ‘homework’ for that course.

5.      We all hate criticism, but sometimes the harshest advice is also the most useful. What is the hardest piece of advice someone has given you?

A: Be patient. And it is the advice I cheerfully dole out to any and all writers, even while having a very hard time following it. It will come. Don’t pester people. Write. The rest will follow.

6.      Do you have any advice for other new authors?

A: Same as above!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Get Buck Naked!

Don't Say a Word: A Daughter's Two Cents

Book Giveaway