The Goddesses


The Descendants meets Single White Female in this captivating novel about a woman who moves her family to Hawaii, only to find herself wrapped up in a dangerous friendship, from the celebrated author of We Could Be Beautiful.

When Nancy and her family arrive in Kona, Hawaii, they are desperate for a fresh start. Nancy's husband has cheated on her; they sleep in separate bedrooms and their twin sons have been acting out, setting off illegal fireworks. But Hawaii is paradise: they plant an orange tree in the yard; they share a bed once again and Nancy resolves to make a happy life for herself. She starts taking a yoga class and there she meets Ana, the charismatic teacher. Ana has short, black hair, a warm smile, and a hard-won wisdom that resonates deeply within Nancy. They are soon spending all their time together, sharing dinners, relaxing in Ana's hot tub, driving around Kona in the cute little car Ana helps Nancy buy. As Nancy grows closer and closer to Ana skipping family dinners and leaving the twins to their own devices she feels a happiness and understanding unlike anything she's ever experienced, and she knows that she will do anything Ana asks of her.

A mesmerizing story of friendship and manipulation set against the idyllic tropical world of the Big Island, The Goddesses is a stunning psychological novel by one of our most exciting young writers.
  


My Review

When I think of psychological novels, I instantly think of the words "goose bumps, head case, lack of sleep, paranoia." I love a really good psychological thriller. Yet, I would not associate this book with any of the words. It was kind of like I was waiting for both shoes to drop. If there was intensity, I did not experience none.

Additionally, Nancy was not a warm welcoming character in the way that I did not get to know her well before she was falling into Ana's grasp. Ana was not flashy in the way that she manipulated Nancy. Actually, I needed and craved this. Which, I did get a tiny bit towards the end of the story but by then it was too late for me. Also, when Nancy started brushing off her family and they were falling apart due to her, I felt bad for them. Not the thriller I was hoping for.

Comments

Marce said…
The summary sold me and I was completely intrigued, sigh. Thanks for your honest feedback. I hadn't heard of this one before.

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Get Buck Naked!

Don't Say a Word: A Daughter's Two Cents

Aberrations