All We Shall Know



Melody Shee is alone and in trouble. Her husband doesn't take her news too well. She doesn't want to tell her father yet because he’s a good man and this could break him. She’s trying to stay in the moment, but the future is looming – larger by the day – while the past won’t let her go. What she did to Breedie Flynn all those years ago still haunts her.

It’s a good thing that she meets Mary Crothery when she does. Mary is a young Traveller woman, and she knows more about Melody than she lets on. She might just save Melody’s life.

Donal Ryan’s new novel is breathtaking, vivid, moving and redemptive.  


My Review

I kind of struggled with this book. I thought the story was fine and in fact, I liked the way the author titled each chapter with the current week in Melody's pregnancy. At times I would find Melody talking to her unborn child about her fears and thoughts for her child. In fact, I was kind of starting to find my groove with the story but what really held me back from fully committing was Melody. I did not find her that appealing.

Melody may have been trying to gain sympathy by being the storyteller but she didn't get it from me. Not that I am saying her husband was good. Yet, as the story progressed, I felt like I didn't know truly why Melody fell for Martin. I kept waiting. It was kind of like taking one step forward and two steps backward reading this book. At the midway point I found my interest had been lost and I did not care to continue on.


Check out an interview with author, Donal Ryan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Get Buck Naked!

Don't Say a Word: A Daughter's Two Cents

Aberrations