The Saturday Evening Girls Club

For four young immigrant women living in Boston’s North End in the early 1900s, escaping tradition doesn’t come easy. But at least they have one another and the Saturday Evening Girls Club, a social pottery-making group offering respite from their hectic home lives—and hope for a better future.

Ambitious Caprice dreams of opening her own hat shop, which clashes with the expectations of her Sicilian-born parents. Brilliant Ada secretly takes college classes despite the disapproval of her Russian Jewish father. Stunning Maria could marry anyone yet guards her heart to avoid the fate of her Italian Catholic mother, broken down by an alcoholic husband. And shy Thea is torn between asserting herself and embracing an antiquated Jewish tradition.

The friends face family clashes and romantic entanglements, career struggles and cultural prejudice. But through their unfailing bond, forged through their weekly gathering, they’ll draw strength—and the courage to transform their immigrant stories into the American lives of their dreams.


My Review

I was really looking forward to checking this book out. The fact that it was based around true facts was a plus. First, off I loved this time period. As soon as I started reading, I was transported back to this era. All of the ladies were fine. I didn't have a problem with them. My only concern was that it was a little hard to get to know them all very well as instead of four unique voices, there was really only one voice, Caprice. So this made it a little harder to warm up to all of the ladies instantly. Not that Caprice was a bad voice but it would have made it nicer to hear all of the ladies speak with their perspective versus one side looking in. So, it did make the beginning of the book reading slower but after I was in a ways, I did find my footing with the story as well as the ladies. Each one was different, yet they had goals that they were determined to strive for.  I did like this book and do plan to check out other books by this author. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Get Buck Naked!

Don't Say a Word: A Daughter's Two Cents

Book Giveaway