Room for Two with Abel Keogh

I bring to you a my interview with Mr. Keogh, author of Room for Two. Room for Two is a book about Mr. Keogh's journey and what he went through when his prior wife took her life.


My review

Many years ago Abel Keogh's wife, Krista took her life as well as the life of their daughter's Hope. Abel was only twenty-six years old when this sad situation took place. While everyone around Abel was trying to figure out why Krista did it, Abel was grieving his wife and precious daughter. Three months later Abel discovered he didn't want to he alone anymore. He was ready to start dating again. Abel had reservations as it seemed too soon. Abel went out on a few dates with a couple different women but no one he was really interested in. Then one day that all changed. Abel was at church the first time he set eyes on Julianna Taylor. She was so beautiful and she was a marathon runner. Abel asked Julianna out on a date. They got along right away but how would Julianna feel when she discovered how Krista died? Fortunately for Abel, Julianna had no problems with it. The more time Julianna and Abel spent with each other the more Abel realized how much he loved Julianna. Abel had found happiness again.

Room for Two was a very touching and heart-felt book. I found Abel to be sincere, open and honest. This is part of why Room for Two is a good book. It was sad when Abel lost his wife, Krista and daughter Hope but I smiled when he feel in love with Julianna. I imagine it must have been hard for Abel to want to share a part of his life with readers. All I can say is thank you for putting out Room for Two. I don't know what else to say other then Room for Two deserves all the praises it has received.




First off let me start by saying I appreciate you doing this interview.

Thanks for taking the time to interview me.





Explain what a day in the life of an author is like? How long does it take from start to finish to complete a book?

It varies by project. It took two years to turn Room for Two into a publishable manuscript. I was working mostly at night after my wife had gone to bed and some weekends. The subject matter was also so intense and emotional that I sometimes took breaks of several weeks before I could revisit the manuscript.

Last month finished the first draft of my first novel. That took me three months to write – again writing at night and on weekends.

Being an author involves sitting in front of a computer and writing for hours on end. Most people would find it boring. The real reward comes when you have a real book to hold in your hands and can talk to readers and others about it.



I read that you are also a political columnist. How if any is that different from writing a book.

I find it easier but not as rewarding. I’m usually on deadline when I write them so I have to write a 500-700 word essay in the space of a few hours. I find writing books more rewarding because they have a longer shelf life. Most political columns are interesting for about 1-2 days after they’re written while a good book can be in circulation for decades or more than a century.


You have some wonderful poems on your website. Have you always had a passion for poetry? How long have you written it?

I wrote a lot of poetry in college and received a lot of awards and recognition for my efforts. Writing fiction and non-fiction was something I wasn’t as good at. However in the decade since I’ve graduated, that’s flipped. I don’t have a good reason as to why other than I have more time to write now.


It must have been hard when your wife took her life. What type of advice can you give someone who might be experiencing the same thing?

The suicide of a loved one isn’t easy to deal with and it doesn’t help that most people have no idea what to say or how to comfort you. Take it one day at a time and slowly rebuild your life. Don’t EVER let that person’s tragic choice stop you from living.


What’s something about you that we’d be surprised to learn?

I hosted a radio talk show for about eight months. I loved that job and would like to get back into that line of work at some point.


If you were not a writer what would you be?

It’s hard to imagine not writing for a living. However, if that wasn’t an option, I’d like to own a publishing company and search for talented writers and help them achieve their writing goals. I also wouldn’t mind teaching writing and literature courses at the college level.


Can you share any exciting career news?

I should have a publishable manuscript for my next book by summer’s end. Hopefully a publishing contract will follow.


What is on your bookshelf?

A little bit of everything. I don’t read one specific genre. The best way to see what’s there is to check out my reading shelf at GoodReads.com. http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/975265?shelf=%23ALL%23

I have hundreds of books on my shelves and am hoping to have them all added by the end of the year.







To check out more about this author go to

Website: http://www.abelkeogh.com/

Blog: http://www.abelkeogh.com/blog/




You can also read a sample of this book here http://www.abelkeogh.com/room-for-two/chapter1.php and check Mr. Keogh's site on locations to purchase this book.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Great interview, but I also want to comment on the cover. It's really eye catching!
Anonymous said…
Cheryl,

Thanks for the review and interview. I'm glad you enjoyed the book!

Abel

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Get Buck Naked!

Don't Say a Word: A Daughter's Two Cents

Aberrations