Appetite



When Jenn Adler returns from a year in India, she has a surprise for her parents: a young guru from Bangalore whom she intends to marry. Her father, Paul, is wary of this beggar Jenn has brought home who, he suspects, is conning his much-loved daughter while her mother, Maggie, is frightened that this alien stranger will steal away her only child, her focus in life. In the months leading up to the backyard wedding, Maggie is forced to reevaluate her virtues as she casts about for support, and Paul faces an unexpected threat at work one that Maggie could help him meet, if he would only ask. But even with these distractions, the two parents are focused on one primary question: Can they convince their daughter she is making a terrible mistake before the wedding takes place?"

My Review

I was not too sure about this book when I read the premise. However this actually turned out to be a pretty good book. My only issues were that I could not find a strong emotional connection to the Adler family. In fact, I thought the one that was going to be way out there and would be a turn off would be Jenn's fiancé, Arun. It turns out that he was the nice one. He was very practical and I felt horrible for him that Jenn's parents treated him so badly.

I could never like Paul. For the things he did and the clinical and mean ways he came off towards people, there was not a moment where he was likable. Maggie was a different story. She give in too much and her voice was small and sometimes a whisper in the story. Jenn was fine but nothing too exciting about her. My favorite was Arun. From the first moment that I met him I felt a warmth about him that made him a people person. This book was an alright read.

Summer Reading Challenge

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Get Buck Naked!

Don't Say a Word: A Daughter's Two Cents

Aberrations