Chatting with K.T. Conte + Giveaway
Book Title: Awoke (The Want Series) by K.T. Conte
Category: YA Fiction; 324 pages
Genre: Fantasy/Paranormal Romance
Publisher: SugarCane Publishing
Release date: October 2017
Katya leads a normal life any teenager would be envious of – popular, pretty and dating the high school elite. Not she enjoys the spotlight, mind you. She wants everyone to believe she is normal.
But when Katya sees the real reason behind the earthquakes plaguing everyone in Boston, the truth rattles and shatters the perfect normal illusion Katya created for herself. An ability to see unearthly creatures and manipulate waves of life energy labels her as anything but normal. And it’s an ability that attracts unwanted and dangerous attention.
She reluctantly finds herself in the company of Gregor, a handsome member of an international spirit military team called the Kyrios. Her simple decision to help thrusts Katya in a world of the undead spirits, betrayal and a perpetual battle between undead monsters and the wardens that keep them in their place.
Katya must decide whether she values the simple and easy life she created for herself over the complex and difficult world now asking her to stand and fight.
Who doesn't love a strong female lead. Ok, this comment has nothing to do about race but there are not enough strong, black, female leads in stories. The author does a nice job of portraying Katya as the type of female lead that female readers can get behind.
This is another book where the world lent a strong backdrop to this story. The other reality was believable. There were moments when Katya would have flashes of images. At first they were a bit distracting but after a while, I found my reading groove with the book and found the images intriguing. I would suggest this book for the older teen starting age. Only, because this book is a bit on the darker side but in a really good way. I liked what I read and would read K.T. Conte again.
Buy the Book:
Meet the Author:
K.T. Conte is a lover of books, people and all things wild and crazy. She received her B.A. in English from Boston College and her law degree from Suffolk University Law School. While she has and continues to be a licensed attorney, her first love has always been books from the tender age of 2. Originally from Massachusetts, K.T. currently lives in New York City with the monsters in the closet, her husband Everett, a couple of building fairies and her dog, Champ.
Connect with the Author: Website ~ Facebook ~ Twitter
Which was the hardest character to write? The easiest?
- Definitely my protagonist Katya just because I see some of me in her and there are parts that uniquely her. It was a struggle to remind myself that however much I would like to write myself into a story Katya had to have her own voice. Easiest, hands down, was Cynthia because she’s the bad ass friend you’ve always wanted.
If you could put yourself as a character in your book, who would you be?
- Without giving too much away, I’d actually come in as one of the Generals. We could really explore a great storyline.
Where do you write? Is there a specific ritualistic thing you do during your writing time?
- I actually can write anywhere. But I need to have music playing. Headphones on and a playlist on repeat. Music gets me in my zone and I can go to town on my laptop!
What is your next project?
- First thing is to finish the series. The next book is tentatively entitled “Rise.” I also have a historical fantasy series that will come after the Want Series.
If you were stuck on a deserted island, which 3 books would you want with you?
- Would the loophole in this be bringing my Kindle so I can have as many books as I want? Sorry lawyer moment. Three books only? I can’t bring any book that has a series because that would be torture. I’d say a Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith, the Finer Things by Brenda Joyce and the Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern.
- Chocolate chip cookie dough. Magnifique
Enter the Giveaway!
Ends Nov 4