The Afrika Reich






1952. It is more than a decade since the Dunkirk fiasco marked the end of Britain's war and an uneasy peace with Hitler. In Africa, the swastika flies from the Sahara to the Indian Ocean. Gleaming autobahns bisect the jungle and jet fighters patrol the skies. Britain and the Nazis have divided the continent but now the demonic plans of Walter Hochburg - architect of Nazi Africa - threaten Britain's ailing colonies.

In England, ex-mercenary Burton Cole is offered one last contract. Burton grabs the chance to settle an old score with Hochburg, despite his own misgivings and the protests of the woman he loves. If Burton fails, unimaginable horrors will be unleashed in Africa. No one - black or white - will be spared. But when his mission turns to disaster, Burton is forced to flee for his life. His flight takes him from the unholy killing ground of Kongo to SS slave camps and on to war-torn Angola, finally reaching its thrilling climax in a conspiracy that leads to the dark heart of the Reich itself.

Guy Saville has combined meticulous research with edge-of-the seat suspense to produce a superb novel of alternate history.



My Review

Another book that surprised me. I did not actually expect to like this book. In fact, all I had to go off of was the back cover. I do not like to really read reviews of others before I have read a book as I don't like to be have preconceived thoughts about a book until I have made up my own. So thus the reason that I picked up this book many times and put it back down. I kind of wondered what I was thinking back than that made me want to read this book. I finally gave in to picking up this book to read. I really enjoyed Mr. Saville's take on the Nazi's and the "what if" regarding the continent of Africa.

Plus Burton turned out to be a really likable guy. He was someone that you could stand behind and see as the hero. The battle scenes between Burton and Hochburg were thrilling, especially the last one. There was so much action to keep me intrigued and happy. Yes, I agree with other readers that the scenes at times seemed way over the top in regards to Burton seemed like he had nine lives and had lots of luck on his side to escape every time but still sometimes over the top is a good thing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Get Buck Naked!

Don't Say a Word: A Daughter's Two Cents

Aberrations