The Bremer Detail: Protecting the Most Threatened Man in the World


Baghdad, 2003: An elite group of private security contractors is charged with protecting the American who rules IraqIn May 2003 President George W. Bush appointed Paul Bremer as presidential envoy to Iraq. Bremer banned the Ba'ath party and dismantled the Iraqi army, which made him the prime target for dozens of insurgent and terrorist groups. Assigned to protect him during his grueling sixteen-hour days were Blackwater security expert Frank Gallagher and a team of former Marines, SEALs, and other defense professionals. When they arrived, Baghdad was set to explode. As the insurgency gathered strength Bremer and the men who guarded him faced death daily. They were not in the military, but Gallagher and his team were on the front lines of the Iraq War. This fascinating memoir takes the reader deep behind the scenes of a highly dangerous profession.


My Review

I can honesty say that I don't remember hearing about the big Blackwater scandal. Of course, I don't follow the news too much. I feel that the news that is reported is not a true and accurate account of events and is one sided. Not really freedom of speech. Plus it is so depressing to read the news anymore. All I see is crime, killings, and children dying. This is why I stick to the world of books. So anyways back to this book. If you have read my reviews then you are familiar with the fact that I enjoy reading military themed non-fiction books. I saw this book and was intrigued to know what it is like to protect the most threatened man in the world.

I have to say that it is no walk in the park. One of the funniest things I read was when Frank got the call to be part of the Blackwater team. He thought no big deal he would be gone for 30 days and come back. Man was he in for a rude awakening. I applaud guys like Frank and his team for what they do. It takes a special kind of person to risk their lives every day for someone else. I will know add people like Frank to my list of people to respect besides the military men and women. It is easy to honor the military as they are front and center but easy to forget about people like Frank. Again, you will never hear all the good things that these guys do but you will remember the bad from the scandal. This book really gave me a very insightful look into what it really is like to protect the most threatened man in the world.

Warning as there is language used in this book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Get Buck Naked!

Don't Say a Word: A Daughter's Two Cents

Aberrations