Azaleas Don’t Bloom Here




Title: Azaleas Don’t Bloom Here
Author: Frank T. Klus
Publisher: Createspace
Pages: 338
Genre: Literary/Action/Dystopian
 
In a dark and dying world, Eugene Sulke stands on the cusp of his lifelong dream: a promotion, money, and a home in the affluent section of Old Chicago, called the Fortress, where he can watch the sun set over the azaleas. Only one thing stands in his way–his own fear that he is responsible for the terrible conditions his new home would wall him off from.

Caught in a web of intrigue and the warnings of his wife, Eugene could not see the unfolding chaos around him. Suddenly, his wife is dead, he’s in prison, and then subjected to the government’s final solution–a mind-altering technique that would change anyone from who they are to anyone they want them to be. A rescue is attempted, but Eugene’s own fears become his worst enemy..His friends must convince him to go to New America and face the shocking truth about what destroyed his world.

My Review

I am a fan of the dystopian books and thus this is the reason why I was looking forward to reading this book. Also the title is very catchy. I do agree with another reader that the world that Mr. Klus built for this book feels very realistic. I could picture how desolate the world had become and understandably the "dog eat" attitude. What I am speaking about is the cruel beatings that Eugene endured while imprisoned. It did not seem to just be beatings but to show just who is in charge. The beatings I got but at the same time it was difficult to read about. Another thing is the language in the book. There is the use of the "f" word as well as "cunt". Which I think the "c" word is worse than the "f" word. One last thing I wanted to point out and that I found distracting is the interchanging from Eugene to Gene. It would not have been such a problem if from one sentence Eugene was used and than the next sentence Gene was mentioned so closely together. This book may not have appealed to me but it appears I am in the minority.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Get Buck Naked!

Don't Say a Word: A Daughter's Two Cents

Aberrations