Paris My Sweet



Paris My Sweet is Amy Thomas’s memoir of her moving to Paris for a job. Although, it was not just for any job. Amy was offered a job working for famed designer, Louis Vuitton. She wrote ad copies. Thus the journey begins for Ms. Thomas.

I could tell from this book just how much Ms. Thomas really loved (obsessed) over all things sweet. If I had to name a place to visit to indulge your sweet tooth, than Paris would instantly come to my mind. I am jealous of Ms. Thomas getting to call Paris her home and try out all some of the best pastries, cheeses and breads. Ms. Thomas did a nice job of describing in detail, all the wonderful foods she sampled. As I was reading this book, my mouth was watering.




While, I did enjoy reading about Ms. Thomas’s experience in Paris and learning about the different sweets, I also grew tried after a while. It was like Ms. Thomas was repeating herself with every chapter, just that the food item being featured was different. I found myself skimming over the chapters and than finally flash forwarding towards the end of the book.

Highlights of this book are the More Sweet Spots on the Map. These were usually inserted at the end of each chapter. Ms. Thomas would than explain a shop, ingredient or something else. I did learn lots from these little features. Finally I have to agree that the Macaroons you can pick up in the grocery stores are “fakes”. They are not the real deal. If you were to ever try a “real” one, than you would love them.






Coconut Macaroon Cookies Recipe
14 ounces sweetened coconut flakes
1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 extra-large egg whites, at room temperature
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

1.Adjust your oven racks so one is in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 325F degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone liners.

2.In a large bowl, combine the coconut, condensed milk, and vanilla until well blended.

3.In a medium bowl, beat the egg whites and salt on high speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form.

4.Gently stir/fold the egg whites into the coconut mixture, being careful not to deflate the egg whites.

5.Drop the batter onto lined cookie sheets with either two teaspoons or a 1 3/4-inch diameter ice cream scoop 2-inches apart.

6.Bake for 22 to 28 minutes, or until golden brown.

7.Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes then transfer the cookies to a wire rack with a thin metal spatula to cool completely.

This recipe yields between 2 and 3 dozen Coconut Macaroons

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Get Buck Naked!

Don't Say a Word: A Daughter's Two Cents

Aberrations